Friday, March 02, 2007

The Invisibles #16: 'London'

I’d imagine that someone reading these issues as they came out would have quite a tough time with ‘London.’ For one, Dane hasn’t appeared in the series for nine issues, and on top of that, this issue is a followup on stuff that happened back in the series’ very first arc. Even knowing the basic idea of what’s going on, it’s still tough to keep up with everything that happens here. But, I’m glad that Morrison gave us such a challenging issue, it keeps things interesting even on the fourth read.

I've taken down my posts on The Invisibles because they're all coming out in book form. The book, Our Sentence is Up, features revised and expanded versions of each blog post, covering every issue of The Invisibles, plus an extensive interview with Morrison himself. Visit your local comic store and order a copy now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like your analysis. I came across the invisbles only last year, but have read it multiple times. Wish they'd make it compulsory reading in every university in the world. Just one point - sorry to nitpick - but the structure we see when Dane is asked which side are you on is the Moebius strip.

Patrick said...

Ah, you're right. It does look like an infinitiy symbol, but definitely point out any issues you've got with the posts, even if they're nitpicky.

And I'd agree that The Invisibles should be required reading. I first read the series in my senior year of high school and went on such an intellectual journey, I felt a bit underwhlemed by college. All the things you're 'supposed' to do there, like question your worldview, be awed by teachers, and go through major changes, I did with my journey through the series. That's not to say college was pointless, just that I felt like The Invisibles made me think as much, if not more, than four years of classes.